Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for KIRKBY MALZEARD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

KIRKBY MALZEARD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"KIRKBY MALZEARD, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York, 4 miles from Masham, and 7 N. W. of Ripon, its post town. It is situated near the river Ure. The parish is of large extent, containing the hamlets and townships of Laverton, Fountains Earth, Galphay, Hartwith, Azerley, Braisty Woods, Brimham, Low Laiths, Summer Bridge, and Mickley. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in the flax mills. There formerly existed here a castle of the Mowbrays, which was demolished in the reign of Henry II. At Fountains- Earth are the remains of Fountains Abbey, occupying a space of 2 acres, and said to be the largest monastic ruins in England. The town, which is of considerable antiquity, was endowed by Edward I. with a charter for a weekly market and two annual fairs, which, after having been discontinued for several centuries, were temporarily revived in 1816. A considerable portion of the parish is high moorland, affording tolerable pasture, but the soil in the valleys is fertile and well cultivated. The living is a vicarage annexed to the vicarage* of Masham, in the diocese of Ripon. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient stone edifice, with a tower containing a clock and four bells. In the interior is an ancient stone font. The parochial charities produce about £163, £13 of which go to the parochial school. There is a mechanics' institute, containing lecture and reading rooms, with a library containing nearly 1,000 volumes."


"AZERLEY, a township in the parish of Kirkby-Malzeard, wapentake of Clare, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the N.W. of Ripon. It lies to the W. of the river Ouse, and contains the hamlets of Galphay and Mickley. Azerley House is the principal residence."


"BOWTHWAITE, a hamlet in the township of Fountains Earth, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard, in the wapentake of Claro, West Riding of the county of York, not far from Ripon."


"BRAISTY WOOD, a hamlet in the chapelry of Hartwith, parish of Kirkby Malzeard, in the wapentake of Clare, West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the W. of Ripley."


"BRIMHAM, a hamlet in the chapelry of Hartwith, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard, in the wapentake of Clare, West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the N.W. of Ripley. The place is chiefly noted for a remarkable group, or assemblage of groups, of shattered rocks, called Brimham Crags, which are scattered over a tract of 40 acres, They are blocks of gritstone. Among them are two called the Cannons, from being perforated, several rocking-stones of immense weight, yet moved by a touch, and others imagined to resemble idols and altars. It is conjectured that the spot may have been the scene of early religious rites. There are many tumuli in the neighbourhood."


"FOUNTAINS EARTH, a township in the parish of Kirkby-Malzeard, lower division of the wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Ripon. It is situated upon the rivers Nidd and Skell, and includes the hamlets of Bowthwaite, High and Low Lofthouse, and Sigsworth. Fountains Abbey, a priory of Cistercian monks, was founded here in 1132, and being burnt, was refounded in 121045, and richly endowed. The income of the establishment at the Dissolution amounted to £1,173 Os. 7d. when the site was sold to Sir R. Graham. It is now the property of Earl de Grey. There are some fine remains, extending over 2 acres (originally 10). They lie in a vale watered by the Skell, and include the church, 351 feet by 186, with a tower 1661 feet high, a fine nave, and E. window, monuments of a Percy and Mowbray, chapter-house, abbots' tombs, cloisters 300 feet long, &c. It was visited by the Archaeological Institute in 1846, when the abbot's house near the lady chapel and the oratory were traced. A group of yews, said to be more than 1,200 years old, stands here. In the vicinity is Fountains Hall, partly built from the ruins of the abbey."


"GALPHAY, a hamlet in the township of Azerley and parish of Kirkby Malzeard, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Ripon."


"GREWELTHORPE, a township in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard, lower division of the wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York, 3 miles S. of Masham, and 6 N.W. of Ripon, its post town. It is situated in the vicinity of the river Ure, and includes the hamlet of Kessmoor. The neighbourhood abounds with beautiful scenery. The Hack fall, consisting of a series of cascades, is much frequented by visitors. Good stone is procured in large quantities, and cream cheese is a staple produce. The village is large, and the houses nearly all built of stone. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to that of Masham, in the diocese of Ripon. The church is a modern structure. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a good school for boys and girls. Admiral Harcourt is lord of the manor."


"HARTWITH WITH WINSLEY, a township and chapelry in the parish of Kirkby-Malzeard, lower division of the wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York, 4 miles W. of Ripley, and 7 from Ripley railway station. It is situated on the N. bank of the river Nidd, and contains the hamlets of Braisty Woods, Brimham, Low Laiths, and Summer Bridge. The chief crops are wheat, barley, and potatoes, and flax spinning is carried on in the village. In the vicinity are several flour-mills, and a small tract of moorland. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £120. The church is a stone structure, rebuilt and enlarged in 1830. The register dates from 1751. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels, and there is an endowed free school for boys and girls, in which a Sunday-school is also held. At Brimham are masses of loose rock scattered over a district of about 40 acres, supposed to have been a resort of the Druids."


"KESSMOOR, a hamlet in the township of Grewelthorpe, parish of Kirkby-Malzeard, West Riding county York, 7 miles N.W. of Ripon. It is situated near the river Ure."


"LAVERTON, a township in the parish of Kirkby-Malzeard, wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Ripon. It is situated on a branch of the river Ure. The village consists of a number of scattered houses. There is a school, built in 1832."


"LOFTHOUSE WITH FOUNTAINS EARTH, a township in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard, wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York. 8 miles N. of Pateley Bridge, and 16 W. of Ripon. It is situated on the river Nidd, and has the two hamlets of High and Low Lofthouse. The Wesleyans have places of worship. There is an endowed National school. Earl de Grey and Ripon is lord of the manor."


"MICKLEY, a hamlet in the township of Azerley, parish of Kirkby Malzeard, in the West Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Ripon, its post town. It is situated on the river Ure. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £80, in the patronage of the vicar. The church is a modern structure."


"MIDDLESMOOR, a village and chapelry in the township of Upper Stonebeck, and parish of Kirkby-Malzeard, Upper division of the wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York, 7 miles N.W. of Pateley Bridge, its post town, and 15 W. by N. of Ripon. It is situated on the river Nidd, on the border of an extensive moor. The village, which is small, is built on the summit of a hill overlooking the valley of the Nidd. In the vicinity are many subterranean passages and stalactite caves. The soil is clayey, on a subsoil of clay and rock. The population has recently been decreasing. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £117, in the patronage of the Vicar of Masham. The church is a stone edifice, erected in 1484, with a square tower containing one bell. In the interior are several monuments and an antique font. The charities comprise a rent-charge of £20, bequeathed by Simon Horner in 1809 for education. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a free school for boys and girls, partly endowed. A fair is held on the 14th September for cattle, sheep, and lambs."


"NEW LAITHS, a hamlet in the chapelry of Hartwith-cum-Winsley, parish of Kirkby Malzeard, West Riding county York, 4 miles W. of Ripley. It is situated near the river Nidd."


"RAMSGILL, a hamlet in the township of Stonebeck Down, parish of Kirkby-Malzeard, West Riding county York, 12 miles S.W. of Ripon. It is situated in the moorlands on the southern side of the valley of the Nidd. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £135, in the patronage of the vicar. The church is of recent erection."


"SIGSWORTH, a hamlet in the township of Fountains-Earth, parish of Kirkby-Malzeard, West Riding county York, near Pateley Bridge, and 4 miles S.W. of Ripon. It is situated near the rivers Nidd and Skell."


"STONEBECK DOWN, (and Stonebeck Upper) townships in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard, West Riding county York, 7 miles from Pateley Bridge. They are situated on the river Nidd, and are chiefly agricultural. The former township includes the village of Ramsgill, and the latter the chapelry of Middlesmoor. The soil is of a loamy and gravelly character, with a subsoil of gravel and rock. The land is principally devoted to pasture. The Wesleyans have a chapel at Bouthwaite. The Archbishop of York is lord of the manor."


"SUMMERBRIDGE, a hamlet in the chapelry of Hartwith and parish of Kirkby Malzeard, West Riding county York, 3 miles W. of Ripley, near the river Nidd."


"WINSLEY, a hamlet in the chapelry of Hartwith, and parish of Kirkby-Malzeard, West Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Ripley."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013