MIDDLESMOOR, in the township of Upper Stonebeck, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard, lower-division of Claro; 9 miles from Pateley Bridge and Kettlewell, 10 miles SW. of Masham; 16 from Ripon.
Here is a Chapel under Kirkby Malzeard, of which the Vicar is Patron, the present annual value, about £140. In 1743, John Lazenby founded a School, for ten poor boys of the townships of Stonebecks upper, and down, and Fountains Earth. He endowed it with land, which now lets for £18. per annum, which is paid to the Master as his salary. Simon Horner, by indenture, dated 1809, granted £20. per annum, out of an estate at Stonebeck, to be paid to a School Master at Middlesmoor, for teaching the poor children of Stonebeck, he afterwards built a School House, of which they have the use. --Commissioners Report.
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]