The Ancient Parish of KIRKBY WHARFE
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"KIRKBY WHARFE, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Barkston Ash, liberties of St. Peter and Pontefract; 2 miles S. of Tadcaster, 12 from York and Selby, 13 from Pontefract. Pop. including Milford, 86. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. John the Baptist (see Churches
for photograph), in the deanry of the Ainsty, value, ~£3. 16s. 8d. p.r. £120. Patron, the Prebendary of Wetwang."
"GRIMSTON, in the parish of Kirkby Wharfe, wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberty of Pontefract; (Grimston Hall, the seat of Lord Howden,) 1½ miles S. of Tadcaster, 11½ from Ferrybridge, 13 from Pontefract. Pop. 62.
Sir John Francis Cradock, of Grimston Hall, was created a Baron of Ireland by the title of Baron Howden, of Grimston and Spaldington, in this county, and of Cradocks Town, in the county of Kildare, October 19, 1819. His Lordship's family is of ancient Welsh origin, claiming descent from Carodoc, and the ancient Princes of Wales; the name properly Carodoc. His lordship's father, John Cradock, was Archbishop of Dublin, and died in 1778. Heir apparent, John Hobart, only son. --Debrett."
"NORTH MILFORD, (or North Milforth) a hamlet in the parish of Kirkby Wharfe, wapentake of Barkston Ash, and honour of Pontefract; 3 miles S. of Tadcaster."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]