[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KIRKBY WHARFE, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Barkston Ash, liberties of St. Peter and Pontefract; 2 miles S. of Tadcaster, 12 from York and Selby, 13 from Pontefract. Pop. including Milford, 86. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. John the Baptist (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of the Ainsty, value, ~£3. 16s. 8d. p.r. £120. Patron, the Prebendary of Wetwang."
"GRIMSTON, in the parish of Kirkby Wharfe, wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberty of Pontefract; (Grimston Hall, the seat of Lord Howden,) 1½ miles S. of Tadcaster, 11½ from Ferrybridge, 13 from Pontefract. Pop. 62.
Sir John Francis Cradock, of Grimston Hall, was created a Baron of Ireland by the title of Baron Howden, of Grimston and Spaldington, in this county, and of Cradocks Town, in the county of Kildare, October 19, 1819. His Lordship's family is of ancient Welsh origin, claiming descent from Carodoc, and the ancient Princes of Wales; the name properly Carodoc. His lordship's father, John Cradock, was Archbishop of Dublin, and died in 1778. Heir apparent, John Hobart, only son. --Debrett."
"NORTH MILFORD, (or North Milforth) a hamlet in the parish of Kirkby Wharfe, wapentake of Barkston Ash, and honour of Pontefract; 3 miles S. of Tadcaster."
- A complete set of Monumental inscriptions for the churchyard and the extension at St. John's, Kirkby Wharfe, has been produced by John Price of Louisiana
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirkby Wharfe to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE507408 (Lat/Lon: 53.860953, -1.230606), Kirkby Wharfe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The World War I and II Memorial Plaque in St. John's Church, Kirkby Wharfe.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.