Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: KIRKBY WHARFE. Church dedication: ST. JOHN BAPTIST. Church type: Discharged Vicarage.
A Peculiar. -Area, 3,050 acres. Barkston Ash wapentake, U. D *1. -Population, 492 *2; Church-room, 550 *3; Net value, £117. -This Church was appropriated to the Prebend of Wetwang, who hath there jurisdiction of his whole family, and a Vicarage ordained therein, which is noticed by Torre, but no date or particulars given. He gives a catalogue of the Vicars. The first Vicar, which he names, was instituted before 1329.
The Prebendary of Wetwang is patron and impropriator.
This Church is not noticed in Pope Nicholas's Taxation. The value in the King's books is £3. 16s. 6d. An augmentation of £20 per annum was made by the Prebendary, 44th Elizabeth.
Augmented, in 1757, with £200, to meet benefaction of £500 from the Hon. and Very Rev. Henry Finch, Dean of York, and Mr. E. Finch, by their wills.
21st May 1819, commission to re-pew the Church, erect new galleries, and make other alterations.
There is a glebe house fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1583.
18th April, 44th Eliz., A.D. 1602, Thomas Leedes, of North Milford, Esq., made his will, proved 6th July, A.D. 1602, whereby he commended his soul to God Almighty, his Creator and Redeemer, to Saint Mary, and All Saints, and gave his body to be buried in the parish Church of Kirkby, within the Choir, where his brother Leedes lieth buried.
Reserving out of his lands at Pocklethorpe and Nafferton the yearly rent of £3. 6s. 8d. unto the Catholic prisoners which shall remain from time to time in the Castle of York for the Catholic faith and for their conscience.
And if it shall please God to restore the Catholic faith to his Church, as it was in King Henry the Eighth's days and in the four last years of Queen Mary, then his will is, that the said rent shall be divided between two honest Catholic priests for ever, the one to celebrate Divine service in the parish Church of Kirkby upon Wharfe, and the other in the parish Church of Kippax, and that they may for ever pray for the souls of Anne, his late wife, of his father and mother, and of his uncle, John Brandesby, and Robert Henneage.
Mary Rhodes's charity, who died in 1762. Interest of £150, given weekly in bread.
George Stanhope's gift, by will, in 1678. Rent-charge of £2. 4s. per annum, viz.: £1 for a sermon on new year's day, and residue to the poor.
Robert Richardson's gift, in 1719. Rent-charge of 10s., for corn to the poor of Ulleskelfe, to be given on Saint Thomas's day. -Vide 15th Report, page 636.
Post town: Tadcaster.
Nonae Roll, page 229. Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 487. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 290. Gent's Ripon, page 8. Parl. Survey, vol. xviii. pages 82. 353.
*1 The township of Ulleskelfe is in the jurisdiction of St. Peter of York, and was heretofore so entered.
*2 Viz.: Grimston, 63; Kirkby Wharfe with Milford, 90; Ulleskelfe, 339. Some of the books mention a Chapel at Ulleskelfe, but no such is now in existence.
*3 129 additional sittings (of which 43 are free) have been procured, towards which the Society made a grant of £20.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.