KIRKBY WHARFE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"KIRKBY WHARFE, a parish in the county of YORK, comprising the township of Ulleskelf within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, West riding, and the townships of Grimston and Kirkby-Wharfe with Milford (a portion of which latter is also within the liberty of ST-PETER-OF-YORK), upper division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding, of the county of YORK, and containing 574 inhabitants, of which number, 86 are in the township of Kirkby-Wharfe with Milford, 2 miles S.S.E. from Tadcaster. The living is a discharged vicarage, rated in the king's books at £3. 16. 8., endowed with £500 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Prebendary of Wetwang in the Cathedral Church of York. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, has lately received an addition of eighty-six sittings, of which forty-three are free, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £20 towards defraying the expense. The river Wharfe runs through the parish."
"GRIMSTON, a township in that part of the parish of KIRKBY WHARFE, which is in the upper division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, 1 mile S. from Tadcaster, containing 62 inhabitants. A school has been established and endowed by Lady Howden, for children of both sexes, who are also clothed once a year."
"MILFORD, a township, joint with Kirkby-Wharf, in that part of the parish of KIRKBY-WHARFE, which is in the upper division of the wapentake of BARKSTONEASH, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.S.E. from Tadcaster. The population is returned with Kirkby-Wharf."
"ULLESKELF, a township in that part of the parish of KIRKBY-WHARFE, which is within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, though locally in the tipper division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, West riding, of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.E. from Tadcaster, containing 426 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]