KIRKBY WHARFE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"KIRKBY WHARFE, a parish, partly in the upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone Ash, West Riding, but chiefly within the liberty of St. Peter's, 2½ miles S.E. of Tadcaster, its post town. It is situated on the N. bank of the river Wharfe, near the North Midland railway, and contains the townships of Kirkby, Ulleskelf, North Milford, and Grimston. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture. The uplands are well wooded, and command views of the valley of Wharfdale. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £345, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a stone building with a tower containing three bells. It has recently been restored in memory of the late Lord Londesborough, who resided at Grimston Park. In the interior is a stained-glass window and some oak carving. The parochial charities produce £10 per annum. There is a girls' school, supported by Lady Londesborough, and a boys' school at Ulleskelf. There is an armoury at Grimston Park, which was collected by the late Lord Londesborough, and said to be one of the finest in the country."
"GRIMSTON, a township in the parish of Kirkby Wharfe, upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone Ash, West Riding county York, 1 mile S. of Tadcaster, its post town. The old London and York road passes through the township. The place contains the seats of Lord Londesborough and Lord Howden. That of the latter, Grimston Park, is of great beauty. It is surrounded by a park of 300 acres, and contains a good collection of armour and weapons of Eastern warfare, also busts of the Roman emperors and other sculpture."
"NORTH MILFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Kirkby Wharfe, wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, West Riding county York, 2 miles S.E. of Tadcaster. It is joined to Kirkby Wharf to form a township."
"ULLESKELF, a township in the parish of Kirkby-Wharfe, upper division of Barkstone-Ash wapentake, West Riding county York, 3½ miles S.E. of Tadcaster, and 1 mile from Kirkby. It is a station on the North-Eastern line of railway. The village is situated on the S. bank of the river Wharfe, over which the York and North Midland railway is carried by a viaduct. There is a boys' school, supported by Lord Londesborough. The Wesleyans have a chapel."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013