The Ancient Parish of KIRKHEATON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KIRKHEATON, a parish-town, in Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 2 miles NE. of Huddersfield, 8 from Halifax;, 10 from Wakefield, 16 from Leeds, 38 from York. Pop. 2,186. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, in the deanry of Pontefract, value, £25. 13s. 9d. Patron, Thomas Richard Beaumont, Esq.
After the origin of local names, the first race of mesne Lords, who appear at this place, bore the denomination, de Heton. They were benefactors to the house of Fountain, and to their piety, the parish church may with great probability be ascribed. The payment of £1. 3s. 4d. to the Church of Dewsbury, proves its ancient dependence on that church, and from which, it was probably severed about the year 1200. In the church yard is a gigantic Yew Tree, supposed to be co eval with the Church, as it could scarcely have attained to its great magnitude in less than six centuries. In the north aisle of the choir, is a cumbant statue of Sir Richard Beaumont, of Whitley, Bart.: of this family, who have long been Lords of this Manor, are several other memorials in the Church. --Whitaker's Loidis and Elmete.
Here is a Free School, for the education of ten poor boys gratis."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Here is a photograph of part of Kirkheaton Lane Side Cemetery.
- Kirkheaton Lane Side Cemetery, Kirkheaton.
- A transcription of the Richard Beaumont's charity information from the 1899 Endowed Charities, W.R. Yorkshire and Sheffield.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- St. John the Baptist's Church, Kirkheaton. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Methodist and URC Church, Kirkheaton.
- The former Primitive Methodist Chapel, Grange Moor (built 1877).
- St Bartholomew's Church, Grange Moor - view 1 (Church of England & Methodist). (The Church's website is here.)
- St Bartholomew's Church, Grange Moor - view 2.
- The United Reformed Church, Moldgreen. (The Church's website is here.)
- St. Paul's Methodist Church, Moldgreen.
- The United Church, Kirkheaton.
- Christ Church, Moldgreen.
- The former Wesleyan Chapel, Lepton.
- St. James's Church, Rawthorpe.
- The Baptist Church, Dalton.
- Dalton New Church (Swedenborgian), Dalton. (The Church's website is here.)
- St. John the Evangelist's Church, Lepton, view 1.
- The Church of St. John the Evangelist, Lepton, view 2.
- The Methodist Church, Lepton. (The Church's website is here.)
- The original former Primitive Methodist Church, Lepton, now a private dwelling.
- The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Houses Hill, built in 1880, the original was built in 1814.
- The former Methodist Providential Chapel, Lascelles Hall, closed in 1991, now private dwellings.
- Transcript of the entry for Kirkheaton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Kirkheaton.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirkheaton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE185184 (Lat/Lon: 53.661763, -1.721519), Kirkheaton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 17 Children's Memorial in the Churchyard at Kirkheaton.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE220160) Grange Moor
- (SE196149) High Green (was Bogden)
- (SE180171) Hill Side
- (SE213154) Lepton Edge
- (SE162179) Rawthorpe
- (SE192147) Rowley Hill
- (SE173167) Tandem
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.