"KIRKHEATON, is a township, in the parish of its name, in the upper division of Agbrigg wapentake, West Riding, nearly three miles n.e. of Huddersfield. The manufacture of fancy goods, chiefly woollen fabrics, and woollen cloths prevail here to some extent. The places of worship are the parish church, an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. John ; and three chapels for methodists. In the cemetary of the church is a neat monument, erected by subscriptions, to record the awful loss of life from fire, which broke out in Mr. Atkinson's factory, at Colne Bridge, on the 14th of February 1818, by which 17 children fell victims to the dreadful element. In the same church yard is a large yew tree, measuring in girth twenty feet nine inches ; and its antiquity is stated to be traced to the remote period of 800 years back. The living of Kirkheaton is a rectory, in the presentation of the Rev. M. Alderson, near Rotherham : the present incumbent is the Rev. John Smithson, and his curate the Rev. William Kettlewell. Richard Henry Beaumont, Esq. of Whitley hall, is lord of the manor. The entire parish contained, at the last census, 10,020 inhabitants, and the township 2,755 of that number."