The Ancient Parish of KIRK SANDAL
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"KIRK SANDAL, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; (the seat of George Martin, Esq.) 4½ miles from Doncaster, 6½ from Thorne, 37 from York. Pop. 192. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Oswald, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, ~£9. 0s. 3½d. Patron, the King.
Here was anciently a seat of the family of Rokeby; of which John was rector of this parish; he was afterwards Archbishop of Dublin, where dying, he ordered his bowels to be buried at Dublin, his heart at Halifax, and his body at this place; and over each of his remains, a Chapel to be built, which was accordingly done. In the chancel of the Church, is a marble monument to the Archbishop; and another to Sir Thomas Rokeby, Knight, who died Nov. 1689.
In 1826, the Rev. Robert Wood, rector of Kirk Sandal, by his Will, devised all his freehold estate at Kirk Sandal, Fishlake, and Barnby upon Don, in trust for ever, to the use of a Schoolmaster, who shall teach a Grammar School in Kirk Sandal."
"LONG SANDAL, or Sandal Parva, in the township of Wheatley with Sandal, and parishes of Kirk Sandal and Doncaster, lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, soke of Doncaster; 3 miles NE. of Doncaster, 8 from Thorne."
"STREET THORPE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Kirk Sandal; (Street Thorpe Hall, the seat of George Parker, Esq.) 4 miles NE. of Doncaster, 8½ from Thorne.
George Cooke Yarborough Esq. built here, about fifty years ago, a handsome Mansion, in which he used to reside. This place was formerly in the possession of the Swift family, whose old mansion is still remaining. --Miller's History of Doncaster."
"TRUMFLEET, in the township and parish of Kirk Sandal, lower division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 6 miles W. of Thorne, 7 from Doncaster."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]