Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: HARROGATE WITH BILTON. Church dedication: ST. JOHN.
Area, 4,800 acres. Claro wapentake. - Population, 2,812 ; Church-room, 1,250; Net value, £96.
Patron, the Vicar of Knaresborough.
No glebe house.
The Register Books for baptisms and burials commence in 1758; marriages, previous to the late act, always took place at Knaresborough.
Baxter's gift. rent charge of 20s. per annum.
Thomas Boddey's. Two rents-charge of 20s. each.
William Lupton's gift. Interest of 10s.
William Carter's gift. Interest of £15. Jeffrey's gift. Interest of £10. These two latter appear to have been lost.
Free School. Founded by Richard Taylor in 1785. Endowment, house and fifteen acres of land; thirty children of both sexes are freely taught reading, writing, arithmetic, and the Church Catechism-seven trustees.
William Randall's gift, vide Knaresborough Charities. Moiety of rent charge of £4 per annum. -Vide 3rd Report, page 468.
Not noticed by Torre. Hargrove's Knaresborough, page 106.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.