In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Knaresborough:
"ARKENDALE, in the parish of Knaresborough, lower-division, of Claro, liberty of Knaresborough; 4 miles NE. of Knaresborough and 4 from Boroughbridge. Pop. 285. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, in the deanry of Boroughbridge, diocese of Chester, value, p.r. £81. Patron, the Vicar of Knaresborough."
"BACHELORS GARDENS, a hamlet in the township of Bilton with High Harrogate, and parish of Knaresborough; 2 miles from High Harrogate.
Here is a Free School for poor girls within the township, founded by Richard Taylor, in 1785, who endowed it with land and tenements, which are vested in six trustees, but all in the hands of the Master of the school. Salary, £30. per annum."
"BILTON, in the parish of Knaresborough, lower-division of Claro, liberty of Knaresborough; (Bilton Hall, the seat of Henry Hunter, Esq.) 1 mile W. of Knaresborough. Pop. including High Harrogate, 1,934, which being united, form a township."
"BREARTON, in the liberty and parish of Knaresborough, lower-division of Claro; 4 miles NW. of Knaresborough, 5 from Boroughbridge, 7 from Ripon. Pop. 226."
"CONYNGHAM HOUSE, or Coghill Hall, in the township of Scriven with Tentergate, and parish of Knaresborough; (the seat of the Hon. Col. Burton, now occupied by Dr. William Harrison,); ¾ of a mile from Knaresborough.
This house, built upon the site of the old mansion by Oliver Coghill, Esq. upwards of 70 years ago, has, for many centuries, belonged to the Coghill family; and was by them called Coghill Hall; but Sir John Coghill, Bart. having sold it to the Right Hon. Countess, of Conyngham in 1796, it was changed to its present name. Angus, in his description of gentlemen's seats, says "it is situated in one of the pleasantest spots in England.""
"HARROGATE, (or High Harrogate), in the township of Bilton with High Harrogate, and parish of Knaresborough, lower division of Claro, liberty of Knaresborough; 3 miles from Knaresborough, 4 from Ripley, 8 from Wetherby, 9 from Hopper Lane Inn and Otley, 10 from Boroughbridge, 11 from Ripon, 16 from Leeds, 21 from York, 211 from London. Principal Inns, Dragon, Granby, Queen's Head, and Hope Tavern. Pop. included in Bilton. Here is a Chapel, which is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. John, value *£49. 18s. 8d. Patron the Vicar of Knaresborough.
Please note:The modern (2001) Harrogate is a large town which combines the old Low Harrogate (Pannal Parish) and High Harrogate (Knaresborough Parish). As the borders of the parishes changed several times, in order to avoid confusion, all Harrogate data (Churches, War memorials, etc. etc) is included with this parish." (There is further information for Harrogate).
"HAY A PARK FARMS, in the township and parish of Knaresborough; 1 mile N.E. of Knaresborough, 7 from Wetherby."
"OCCANEY, (or Ockany) a farm-house in the township of Walkingham with Ockeney, and parish of Knaresborough, lower-division of Claro; 3½ miles N. of Knaresborough, 5 from Ripley. Pop. included in Walkingham."
"SCRIVEN, in the parish of Knaresborough, lower-division of Claro, liberty of Knaresborough; (Scriven Park, the seat of Sir Thomas Turner Slingsby, Bart.) 1 mile N. of Knaresborough, 6 from Boroughbridge, 11 from Ripon. Pop. including Tentergate, 1,373, which being united, form a township.
This was anciently a seat of a family of that name, who were Foresters of the forest and parks of Knaresborough, from the conquest, to the reign of King Edward III. when William de Slingsby married the heiress; from which time, it hath continued in the possession of that ancient and honourable family. Sir Thomas Slingsby, Bart. being the present owner. --Hargrove."
"STARBECK, a hamlet in the township of Bilton with High Harrogate, and parish of Knaresborough; 2 miles SW. of Knaresborough."
"TENTERGATE, in the township of Scriven with Tentergate, in the parish of Knaresborough, (and adjoins Knaresborough). (This is the area between Conyngham Hall and St. John's Church as opposed to the present day street with that name which is somewhat to the north [Colin Hinson 2008])"
"WOODLAND COTTAGE, (the residence of John Jaques, M.D.) in the township of Bilton with Harrogate, and parish of Knaresborough; half a mile from Harrogate.
It was originally built by Daniel Lascelles, Esq. about the year 1771. Alexander, Lord Loughborough, having purchased the estate some years after, made considerable additions to this house, raised a very extensive plantation; and also built the house, now the residence of John Jaques, M.D.; who purchased the estate of his Lordship's successor, the present Earl of Rosslyn."
"WORLDS END, a hamlet in the township of Bilton with High Harrogate, and parish of Knaresborough; three quarters of a mile from High Harrogate."