Hide

LAUGHTON EN LE MORTHEN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"LAUGHTON EN LE MORTHEN, a parish partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, and partly in the southern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-and-TICKHILL, West riding, of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Letwell, and the townships of Gilden-Wells, Laughton en le Morthen, Throapham, and Woodsetts, and containing 1055 inhabitants, of which number, 652 are in the township of Laughton en le Morthen, 7 miles W.S.W. from Tickhill. The living is a discharged vicarage, rated in the king's books at £6. 13. 4., endowed with £1400 parliamentary grant, and in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Chancellor in the Cathedral Church of York. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a fine specimen of the early English style; the tower and spire are visible at the distance of sixty miles; the height to the weathercock is one hundred and ninety-five feet. There is a place of worship for Independents. The free school is endowed with a dwelling-house, garden, and land, together with a rentcharge of £2. Ten poor children are educated gratuitously; five children are also instructed for £ 5 per annum, the bequest of William Beckwith, in 1816."


"GILDEN WELLS, a township in the parish of LAUGHTON-en-le-MORTHEN, partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-OF-YORK, and partly in the southern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-AND-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.N.W. from Worksop, containing 83 inhabitants."


"LETWELL, a chapelry in the parish of LAUGHTON en le MORTHEN, partly within the liberty of ST-PETER of YORK, and partly in the southern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-and-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.S.W. from Tickhill, containing 135 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with £1200 royal bounty, and in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Chancellor of the Cathedral Church of York. The church is dedicated to St. Peter."


"THROAPHAM, a township in the parish of LAUGHTON-en-le-MORTHEN, southern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-and-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.S.W. from Tickhill, containing 50 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]