LAUGHTON EN LE MORTHEN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"LAUGHTON EN LE MORTHEN, a parish, partly within the liberty of St. Peter's, East Riding, and partly in the S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 7 miles S.E. of Rotherham, its post town, and 5 from Kiveton-Park station on the Manchester. Sheffield, and Lincolnshire line of railway. The village, which is situated on rising ground, is considerable, but irregular in form. It suffered greatly during the wars between the houses of York and Lancaster. The parish contains the hamlets of Carr, Slade-Newton, Shroapham, Brookhouse, and St. John's. There is a Roman encampment in the neighbourhood. The soil is various in quality, but in general fertile. The surface is well wooded and highly picturesque. Laughton Hall, the ancient seat of the Butler family, is a fine old mansion. The tithes were commuted for annual money payments under an Enclosure Act in 1769. The living is a vicarage* annexed to the perpetual curacy of St. John's, in the diocese of York, value £376, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a stately structure, with a curious doorway of great antiquity. It has a square embattled tower surmounted by a lofty spire, which may be seen from a distance of 60 miles. The parochial charities produce about £11 per annum. There is an endowed school for both sexes, with a Sunday-school adjoining. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Independents. A. F. B. St. Leger, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"BROOKHOUSE, a hamlet in the parish of Laughton-en-le-Morthen, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the S.W. of Tickhill."
"CARR, a hamlet in the parish of Laughton-en-le-Morthen, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the S.W. of Tickhill."
"SLADE NEWTON, a hamlet in the parish of Laughton-en-le-Morthen, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.W. of Tickhill."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013