[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"LEATHLEY, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Claro; 2 miles NE. of Otley, 11 from Leeds, 12 from Knaresborough, 27 from York. Pop. 312. The Church is a rectory (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of the Ainsty, value, £7. 2s. 8½d. Patron, the King.
Here is a School House and four Alms Houses, founded in 1769, by Mrs. Anne Hitch, who endowed the same with £12. per annum, for the master, to teach the children of the township of Leathley, reading, writing, English grammar, &c. £4. each for the Alms Houses, occupied by indigent persons. The money arises out of rents of land at Felliscliffe. The lord of the Manor, and the Rector of Leathley, and the Rector of Adel, are trustees. --Commis. Report."
"CASTLEY, in the parish of Leathley, upper-division of Claro; 4 miles E. of Otley, 10 from Knaresborough. Pop. 110."
- Transcript of the entry for Leathley in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Leathley.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Leathley to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE233470 (Lat/Lon: 53.918623, -1.646731), Leathley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War memorial in the Churchyard at Leathley
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE232475) Fishpool
- (SE237473) Hartmires
- (SE232479) Leathley Grange
- (SE237467) Leathley Hall
- (SE232468) Low End
- (SE259468) Riffa Manor
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.