"LEATHLEY, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Otley, its post town, and the same distance from the Arthington station on the North-Eastern railway. The parish, which is wholly agricultural, is situated on the river Wharfe, and contains the township of Castley. The soil is light and rich, with subsoil clay. The village is small. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon, value £302, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is an ancient edifice with a tower containing a clock and four bells. The interior of the church contains several mural monuments. The parochial charities produce about £35 per annum. There are a free school, and almshouses founded by Mrs. Anne Hitch in 1769. There is a National school for both sexes. The Methodists have a place of worship. Leathley Hall is the principal residence. Francis H. Fawkes, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
"CASTLEY, a township in the parish of Leathley, wapentake of Clare, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the E. of Otley. It is situated on the banks of the river Wharfe."