Hide

BRAMLEY: Bramley Salem Baptist Church History up to 1912.

hide
Hide
Hide

BRAMLEY, SALEM BAPTIST CHURCH

The Salem Church, Bramley, had its origin in 1878, when seventy-two members withdrew from the Zion Church, Bramley, to form the new cause. The Rev. A. Ashworth, who had been pastor at Zion for fourteen years, became the first pastor at Salem, where he continued until his death in 1885. After two years, in which the pulpit was supplied by students from Rawdon, the Rev. W. Rice accepted the pastorate, but continued for only eighteen months. The Church now remained without a pastor until 1897, when Rev. James Wilkinson, who had been for eight years minister at Zion, accepted the call of the Salem Church. He remained with his people until his sudden death on the last day of the year 1907. During the period of his ministry new school accommodation was provided, structural improvements were made in the chapel, and, through the gift of two friends, an organ was installed in 1901. The Rev. G. W. Wilkinson, the brother of their late pastor, supplied the pulpit for two Sundays in each month until, in August, 1909, Rev. Robt. Tindal accepted the pastorate in which station he still continues.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the "Present Churches" section of
The Baptists of Yorkshire
by Rev. J. Brown Morgan
and Rev. C.E. Shipley