Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: LEEDS ST JOHN. Church dedication: ST. JOHN. Church type: Unaugmented perpetual Curacy.
Church-room, 700 *1; Net value, £375. -This Church was founded by Mr. John Harrison, in the beginning of the reign of King Charles the First, and by deed, dated 14th September 1638, he endowed it with seventy-one acres of land and a house and garden. It was consecrated 21st September 1634, and the Minister was suspended that very day. Torre, in page 269, mentions the forms of this consecration.
The Vicar of Leeds, the mayor, and three senior aldermen, or any three of them, are the patrons *2.
There has been no district assigned to this Church, nor are marriages celebrated in it.
Thoresby gives a view of the Church, and an account of the monuments, &c. See also Whitaker.
Dr. Whitaker remarks, that St. John's Church has all the gloom and all the obstructions of an ancient Church, without one vestige of its dignity and grace.
11th April 1764, faculty to erect a gallery.
There is a glebe house fit for residence.
The Register books commence in 1725. The books contain duplicate entries of all the Churches and Chapels in the parish (the parish Church excepted) for the same period. There are also original books of entries of baptisms and burials from 1773.
John Harrison's Fund, for the support of the Minister and the repairs of the Church, was created by deed, dated 6th September 1639, and now regulated under a decree in Chancery, made 9th April 1777. The income arises from the rent of 82a. 1r. 39p. of land, let, at the time of the Report, for £354 per annum, and is thus divided : £80 and eight-ninths of the surplus rent above the sum of £90, is paid to the Minister, and £10, with the residue of the surplus, is appropriated to the repairs of the Church. -Vid. 15th Report, page 664.
Torre's MS. page 269. Thoresby, page 28. Loidis et Elmete, page 61. Parsons's Leads, &c., vol. i. page 425.
*1 Estimated, in 1818, at 1,000.
*2 This will probably be affected by the Municipal Act.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.