KIRKSTALL: Kirkstall Baptist Church History up to 1912.
KIRKSTALL BAPTIST CHURCH
The Kirkstall Church owes its inception to the work of two young men who came from Leeds and commenced preaching Baptist principles in the open air. They afterwards rented a room in Temperance Street, where they were able to gather a small congregation. The effort being attended with the promise of success, the little company was emboldened to build, and in 1849 the present chapel was opened. In the Association Report for 1850, the name of J. Chiselett appears as pastor; he was followed by Mr. Jones, who was succeeded by Mr. Carter—still remembered by some as an exceedingly popular lecturer. After his resignation, occasioned by ill health, Kirkstall remained for many years pastorless, the work being conducted as a Mission Station by the successive endeavours of the neighbouring Churches of South Parade, Horsforth, Bramley, and Burley Road. In the year 1901 the Church was re-formed and Rev. C. Welton appointed to its ministry. He laboured for ten years faithfully and well, until he retired from the active ministry. He was succeeded by the present pastor, Rev. J. Ford, who settled at Kirkstall in January, 1911.
The following information was supplied by Bill Chislett November 2016:
J.Chislett Joseph was born Crockerton Wilts married IOW. Children born IOW, Plymouth and Oxford.
In the 1840's was a dissenting minister living in Plymouth. One son, Joseph Ralf Remained in Plymouth and married and had family there. The eldest son John Ralph lived in Rotherham a Yorks and was successful and one of his issue responsible for the founding of the Chislett Community Centre there.
The spelling of Chiselett is a coruption of Chislett.
from the "Present Churches" section of
The Baptists of Yorkshire
by Rev. J. Brown Morgan
and Rev. C.E. Shipley