LEEDS: Leeds-Bethel Chapel Wortley Congregational Church History up to 1868.



A chapel was opened in this village in 1787, with the intention of connecting it with the Established Church. But the question of presentation, claimed by the vicar, frustrated the design, and it fell into the hands of the Dissenters. The lord of the manor (J. Smyth, Esq.), who had given the land, closed it against them for some years. It was afterwards licensed, and at length became the property of the Congregationalists at Leeds. A church was formed in 1810. The title of the Independents was, however, resisted, and in 1813 it was consecrated for Episcopal worship.

The congregation erected chapel, which was opened May 52, 18 5. The first pastor (1816) was Rev. H. HART, from Sandysike. He removed in 1818 to Paisley.

  • 1819. Rev. W. ELTRINGHAM (from Rotherham Acy.). In 1820, he left for Harrogate.
  • 1826. Rev. ROBERT LESLIE ARMSTRONG (from Idle Acy.). He was during twenty-five years an earnest and faithful minister. He resigned 1851, and died 1856.
  • 1851. Rev. SAMUEL M. BELL, under the aid of the West Riding Home Mission. Removed 1856 to Newton.
  • 1859. Rev. B. E. WOOD (Airedale Coll.), the present minister (in 1868).

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.