Hide

LEEDS: Leeds-Holbeck-Marshall Street Congregational Church History up to 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

LEEDS-HOLBECK-MARSHALL STREET.
(CONGREGATIONAL. )

By the exertions of the late Rev. John Ely, a chapel was erected in 1836, and opened in the year following. In 1838 a church was formed. The following have been pastors-
  • April 11, 1839. Rev. JOHN CUMMINS, formerly missionary at Madagascar. He laboured with much earnestness, and removed in 1844 to Stubbin.
  • Sept. 12, 1844. Rev. JAMES HUGHES MORGAN (of Airedale Coll.), He has been for many years the active secretary of the West Riding Home Mission, and Congregational Union. He is the present minister (in 1868).

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.