LEEDS: Leeds-Salem Chapel Congregational Church History up to 1868.
We have spoken of the erection of this chapel during the ministry of Rev. EDWARD PARSONS. Mr. P. was a student at Trevecca, and had preached much to congregations in Lady Huntingdon's connexion. Mr. Scales describes him as "a man of great energy of character, of very superior mental powers, of a masculine eloquence, decidedly evangelical in his views of the gospel, yet practical and experimental in presenting and enforcing them. He was justly popular, not only in his own and neighbouring congregations, but also in the metropolis, where, at the Tabernacle and Tottenham Court Chapels, he preached as one of the annual supplies for a long series of years. He was frequently called to preach at the opening of chapels and the ordination of ministers, and several of the sermons delivered on these occasions, and also at funerals, were printed, and are very judicious and valuable. Besides these, he published new editions of the works of Watts, Edwards, and Charnock; of "Neal's History of the Puritans," and Simpson's "Plea for the Divinity of Christ;" the two former of these valuable works were prepared for the press, in conjunction with the Rev. Dr. Williams. In an early part of his ministry he published a small selection of hymns for the use of the congregation at Salem Chapel, and afterwards joined his brethren, Hamilton and Scales, in preparing another and larger selection, which, in its turn, has been superseded by the one now in use." Mr. Parsons's pastorate extended over forty-one years. At the age of 70 he resigned, with an adequate provision from his former flock. He survived for a very brief period, falling a victim to cholera in the Isle of Man, July 29, 1833.
- Aug. 21, 1833. Rev. JOHN ELY (Hoxton Academy). Mr. G. had fulfilled a pastorate of nineteen years at Rochdale, where his eloquence and untiring labours had been more than ordinarily conspicuous. Great expectations were formed of his removal to the West Riding, and they were abundantly fulfilled. He was widely engaged in public services, and sustained the cause of religion by his life and labours, whether the occasion were one of controversy or of general religious action. The increase of the hearers rendered a new sanctuary necessary. The congregation removed in 1841 to East Parade Chapel.
- On the vacation of Salem Chapel, it was taken by the congregation which had hitherto worshipped at Bethel Chapel, George's Street,* and was restored and improved.
- 1841. Rev. W. HUDSWELL (Idle Acy.), from Great Driffield and George's Street. No minister was ever more esteemed for pastoral excellency and substantial worth. After a long struggle with failing health, he retired from the ministry (1868) amidst substantial tokens of public approbation. He still survives.
- 1868. Rev. H. TARRANT, from Sheffield, the present minister (in 1868).
* Bethel Chapel, George's Street, was purchased by the Independents (1802). Its first minister was Rev. W. BENNETT. 1806, Rev. W. FARMER. In 1816, he removed to Shelton. 1816, Rev. THOMAS GARRARD. He retired in infirm health to Halesworth, where he died. Rev. ROBERT HARPER, from Northowram. 1826, Rev. SAMUEL BELLAMY. Removed to Buckingham, 1828. 1832, Rev. WILLIAM HUDSWELL.
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.