Hide

LEEDS: Leeds Harehills Lane Baptist Church History up to 1912.

hide
Hide
Hide

LEEDS, HAREHILLS LANE BAPTIST CHURCH

The Church at Harehills Lane is the child of the Church at South Parade, and forms part of the scheme to which the mother Church devoted herself when she realised the necessity of abandoning the work in her old home, to seek a life more abundant in Churches established in more populous localities. The Harehills site had been secured some years earlier by a few far-seeing Baptists, in a neighbourhood which was then but little developed. The chapel was opened on December 4th, 1907; and fifty-five members of South Parade decided to make it their spiritual home, retaining, for the time being, their membership with the parent Church. In June, 1908, Rev. Herbert Trotman became pastor at Harehills, and on November 24th, 1909, the cause was formed into a separate Church, one hundred and twelve members being received into fellowship.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the "Present Churches" section of
The Baptists of Yorkshire
by Rev. J. Brown Morgan
and Rev. C.E. Shipley