STANNINGLEY: Stanningley Baptist Church History up to 1912.
STANNINGLEY BAPTIST CHURCH
The Church at Stanningley, a thriving village between Bradford and Leeds, dates back to the year 1826, and was commenced under the care of the Itinerant Society. Mr. Matthew Gaunt, of Pudsey, and some Baptists residing in Stanningley who were members of the Church at Bramley, laid the needs of their neighbourhood before Dr. Steadman, of Horton College. A room was secured, and Mr. Edwards, a student, preached the opening sermons. The new cause met with such good encouragement that in the next year they commenced chapel building, and on June 18th, 1828, opened their sanctuary for worship. Three months later, a Church of six members was formed, and it is of interest to know that, after eighty years, descendants of all the six are now to be found among the members of the Church. In 1835, Mr. John Jordan, of Horton College, undertook the charge of the little flock, which now numbered seventeen; in 1842, he gave place to Rev. William Colcroft. Three years later the chapel was enlarged and the cost at once subscribed.
In 1846, the Church dismissed nine members to commence a cause at Pudsey. Stanningley for forty years sustained two separate Sunday Schools, one on the chapel premises, and another in the lower end of the village. The latter school was so successful that, during the pastorate of Rev. Henry Watts (1868), new premises were opened. In 1887, the two schools became one, making their home in the school at the lower end of the village, but the increase of the population near the chapel will probably result in a renewed school effort there. In addition to the pastors already mentioned, the Church has been ministered to by the Revs. J. Rigby (1871-5); E. Dyson (1876-8); E. S. Neale (1882-6); A. Harrison (1888-91); G. A. Bloomfield (1896-1900) and E. Higson (1903-10). During the last pastorate steady progress was made, and the Church is now waiting the advent of a leader who will continue the good work which the Church believes still awaits it. Last year the Church spent 500 on improvements and renovation.
from the "Present Churches" section of
The Baptists of Yorkshire
by Rev. J. Brown Morgan
and Rev. C.E. Shipley