Linton In Craven
The Ancient Parish of LINTON IN CRAVEN
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"LINTON IN CRAVEN, a parish-town, in the east-division and liberty of Staincliffe; (the seat of Mrs. Atkinson) 7 miles S. of Kettlewell, 9 from Skipton, 10 from Pateley Bridge, 44 from York. Pop. 313. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Michael (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Craven, value, in two medieties of £16. each, p.r. first mediety, !£100. second ditto, !£120. Patron, the King.
Here is an excellent Hospital, founded and endowed by Richard Fountain Esq. of Enfield, Middlesex, a native of the place, who having acquired a large fortune in London, by Will, dated July 15, 1721, ordered an estate to be purchased, out of which £26. per annum, should be equally divided among six poor old women or men, in the parish of Linton. They each now receive upwards of twelve guineas per annum, besides the use of a large garden. The founder also left £20. to the minister or ministers of the parish, provided they constantly reside in the parish, and read prayers twice in the week to the poor persons in the hospital. The building is after the style of Sir John Vanburgh, and is said to have cost £1,500. The parish church is at some distance from the village, on the banks of the Wharfe."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- The various donations for St. Michael's Church, Linton in Craven.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Michael and All Angels' Church, Linton in Craven (view 1).
- St. Michael and All Angels' Church, Linton in Craven (view 2).
- The Church House, Grassington.
- St. Peter's Church, Hebden (view 1).
- St. Peter's Church, Hebden (view 2).
- Internal view looking down the nave
- The Methodist Church, Hebden. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Methodist Church, Grassington. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Congregational Church, Grassington, view 1.
- The Congregational Church, Grassington, view 2.
- St. Margaret Clitherow's Roman Catholic Church, Threshfield.
- The Methodist Church, Threshfield. (The Church's website is here.)
- Garry Stockdill's Yorksview website contains a description and photographs of:
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Linton In Craven to another place.
- A transcription of the Grassington Congregational Church History
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD995627 (Lat/Lon: 54.060248, -2.009131), Linton In Craven which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.