Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: LINTON IN CRAVEN. Church dedication: ST. MICHAEL. Church type: Rectory in charge.
Area, 11,110 acres. Staincliffe wapentake, E.D. - Population 2,113 *1; Church-room, 950; no return of value *2. -The Church of Linton is a Rectory of two medieties, both of which belonged to the patronage of the Lords Grey, of Rotherfeld.
The patronage of the former mediety came to the Crown in the time of Queen Elizabeth, and the other in the time of King James I., and the patronage is exercised by the prime minister.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £16. 13s. 4d. each mediety, viz. Hugh's part, and the part which was John Grey's, and which in the second taxation are reduced to £13.6s. 8d. each. In the King's books, each mediety is valued at £16 per annum ; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 208, it is stated: " Two medieties, worth together £120 per annum. The furthest towns not much exceeding a mile from the Church ;" and in 1818, the first mediety was certified to be worth £100 and the second £120 per annum.
There was a decree in the Exchequer, in Trinity Term 20th Eliz., as to tithes at Linton and Threshfield, but which is not reported.
" Linton hath two Rectories in the same Church ; real value of each about £80 per annum. Endowed with all tithes, hay only excepted, for which a modus of about £2. 10s. is paid to each Rector, and 20s. more paid to each from a mill within the parish, commonly called a smelt mill, which runs or refines lead ore. This parish is by the neighbouring parish called Burnsall (of which there are two Rectors also), three parts of four surrounded, and we have one-third part of the tithes of two or three towns within the parish of Burn. sall paid to us as Rectors of Linton, and also some particular houses within the said parish, and particularly in the town of Burnsall, that pay their tithe of all kinds to us, and for that reason concluded to be of this parish, paying no acknowledgment to the Rectors of Burnsall." Signed, " Ja. Roberts, Rect." -Alter. Med. -Notitia Parochialis, No. 143.
In Dr. Whitaker's Craven, is a catalogue of the Rectors. The Rector of the first mediety has 15a. of glebe, and the Rector of the second 11a. The incumbents discharge the duty alternately, week by week, and each performs it from his own stall. There is only one pulpit.
Burnsall is supposed to have been taken out of Linton, and one-third of the corn tithe in Burnsall and Thorpe, and a modus of £1. 5s. out of Harthington, for corn and hay; 6s. 8d. out of Appletreewick; and 13s. 4d. from the demesne of Rilston Hall, and 6s. 8d. for hay in Thorpe, are still paid to Linton ; and one house in Appletreewick is in the parish of Linton.
An Inclosure Act was passed 30th Geo. III.
The glebe house for the second mediety is much too small ; the other is fit for residence. Vide return in 1818. -In 1834, the second was returned as fit for residence. No return as to the first.
The Register Books commence in 1562, but are defective to 1609.
The Grange belonged to the Priory of Old Malton.
Hewitts grammar school, founded by the will of the Rev. Matthew Hewitt, Rector of the one mediety. It is free to all who apply, in English grammar and classics, paying for instructions in writing and accounts, and there are a considerable number of scholars. The income, arising from rent-charges, is £83. 12s. There are four exhibitions of £12. 10s. for scholars at St. John's, Cambridge, but seldom made available.
Richard Fountain's Hospital, founded by will, dated 15th July 1721, for six poor old men or women. Women are now always appointed; £20 is paid to the minister for reading prayers twice a week in the hospital, and to the minister for preaching two, sermons in Linton Church on Whitsunday £1 ; to the poor of Linton, attending to hear divine service on that day £2. 10s.; for apprenticing four boys £12; to nine poor relations of the testator three guineas each half yearly, and three others two guineas each half yearly; to the six poor persons in the almshouse £10 each half yearly ; and to the agent for keeping the accounts £10; and there are other out payments. In 1812, new trustees were appointed by the Court of Chancery. Income arises from the rent of 280a. of land, and there is a rent-charge of 13s.
Mrs. Redmaine's charity. Rent of twenty-two acres, to the poor of Linton and Threshfield.
Thomas Beckett's gift. Rent of twenty acres, to the poor of Hebden township.
Robert Ibbotson's gift, by will, dated 30th October 1723, for eight poor widows of Hebden and Grassington. Rentcharge £4 ; also rent of nine acres of land, for apprenticing poor children.
Thomas Hammond's gift. Rent-charge of £1 to the poor of Linton and Threshfield.
Lost Charities. -Mrs. Addison Fountaine's charity. Dividends on £150 three per cent. consols, to poor people of the parish of Linton, not receiving parochial relief. -Vide 13th Report, page 638.
Henry Bland, by will, dated 25th April 1716. Interest of £25 to the poor of Hebden.
Ann Green's charity, £50. James Sheepshank's £10, and Thomas Topham's £10. The whole of the above are now lost.
Post town: Skipton.
Torre's MS. page 505. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 126. Mon. Angl. vol. vi. pages 974. 1645. Whitaker's Craven, page 457.
*1 Viz. Grassington, 1,067; Hebden,' 491 ; Linton, 343; and Threshfield, 212. In the townships of Grassington and Hebden, 170 men are employed in lead mines.
*2 Except that "the tithes being in dispute, the incumbent was unable to make any certain return."
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.