Hide

GRASSINGTON: Grassington Congregational Church History up to 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

GRASSINGTON.*
(INDEPENDENT.)

This chapel originated in the efforts of the West Riding Itinerant Society. It was opened in 1812. Many difficulties accompanied the first movements of the congregation. These were, however, surmounted, and the chapel is now free from encumbrance.

The successive ministers have been-

  • 1812. Rev. JOHN CALVERT (of Idle Acy.). Mr. Calvert was a very laborious and successful minister, and a considerable congregation was gathered under his ministry. After six years he left for Colne.
  • 1818. Rev. R. ASPINALL. "His ministry was attended by a large share of the Divine blessing." He also removed to Colne.
  • 1822. Rev. R. HARPER. "His preaching was distinguished for variety in the choice of subjects, and great power in the treatment of them. The attention of the people was arrested, and great good was the result." Mr. H. was seized on Sunday evening after service with a fit, and died in consequence. He was interred in the chapel.
" Since his death, the chapel has been mainly supplied by students and others. Some ministers have been settled for a short time at intervals, but nothing has occurred calling for special remark."

NOTES:-
* Communicated.


Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.