The Ancient Parish of LITTLE OUSEBURN
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"LITTLE OUSEBURN, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Claro, liberty, of St. Peter, diocese of Chester; 5 miles from Boroughbridge, 8 from Knaresborough, 13 from York. Pop. 293. The Church, peculiar, is a vicarage, dedicated to the Holy Trinity (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Boroughbridge, value, £3. 8s. 4d. p.r. £96. Patron, the Precentor of York."
"KIRKBY HALL, a township, in the parish of Little Ouseburn, upper-division of Claro; (the seat of Richard John Thompson, Esq.) 5 miles SE. of Boroughbridge, 13 from York. Pop. 55.
In this elegant Mansion is a very valuable collection of Paintings; many of them by the most celebrated masters, ancient and modern.
The Mausoleum in the church yard at Little Ouseburn, and the Obelisk at the place called "the head of the River Ouse," were both erected by a gentleman of this family."
"THORPE GREEN, a hamlet in the township of Thorpe Underwood, and parish of Little Ouseburn; (the seat of Mrs. Robinson,) 6 miles from Boroughbridge, 12 from York. (This hamlet is where the modern Thorpe Underwood is)."
"THORPE UNDERWOOD, a township, in the parish of Little Ouseburn, upper-division of Claro; 7 miles SE. of Boroughbridge, 10 from Knaresborough. Pop. 179."
"WIDDINGTON, a township, in the parish of Little Ouseburn, upper-division of Claro; 8 miles SE. of Boroughbridge, 11 from Knaresborough. Pop. 31."
- The bequests to the poor (1) in Holy Trinity Church, Little Ouseburn.
- The bequests to the poor (2) in Holy Trinity Church, Little Ouseburn.
- The Dorothy Sutton bequest in Holy Trinity Church, Little Ouseburn.
- The Richard Thompson bequest in Holy Trinity Church, Little Ouseburn.
- The Elizabeth Colston benefaction in Holy Trinity Church, Little Ouseburn.
- Transcript of the entry for Little Ouseburn in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Little Ouseburn.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Little Ouseburn to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE448608 (Lat/Lon: 54.041236, -1.317378), Little Ouseburn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.