Area, 4,080 acres. Claro wapentake. -Population, 511 *2 ; Church-room, 550; Net value, £113.
In 1233, this Church was appropriated to the Precentorship of the Cathedral at York, by Archbishop Walter Gray, who had purchased it of the Abbot and Convent of Fountains, and a Vicarage was subsequently ordained therein.
Patron, the Precentor.
Valued in the King's Books at £3. 8s. 4d.
Inclosure Act 41st Geo. III.
Glebe house unfit.
The Register Books commence in 1564.
Elizabeth Colson's, by deed, 10th April 1750. Rent of seven acres of land, three-fifths are paid to the Curate as an augmentation, and two-fifths to a schoolmaster for teaching three boys and two girls English.
Poor's Fund. Interest of £180, amount of sundry donations ; given partly in bread, and partly in money.
Richard Thompson's gift, by will, 27th October 1770. 40s. per annum.
Sundry rents-charge. These are six in number, and amount together to £4. 16s. per annum ; given in bread and money. -Vide 4th Report, page 428.
Torre's MS., page 763, (concord as to tithes at Thorpe Underwood). Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 144. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Useburne), pages 36. 221. 234.
*1 Or Ouseburn Parva.
*2 Viz. Little Ouseburn, 287 ; Kirby Hall, 50; Thorpe Underwood, 144; Widdington, 30. Returned in 1834 at 534.