LITTLE OUSEBURN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"LITTLE OUSEBURN, a parish and post town in the wapentakes of Upper and Lower Claro, West Riding county York, 4.¾ miles S.E. of Boroughbridge, 8½ N.E. of Knaresborough, and 13 N.W. of York. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near Ouseburn Head, and is chiefly agricultural. The parish, which is bounded on the E. by the navigable river Ouse, comprises the townships of Little Ouseburn, Kirby Hall, Thorpe-Underwoods, and Widdington. The land is fertile, and nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1801. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon, value £300, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is an ancient stone structure, with a square tower containing two bells. The parochial charities produce about £26 per annum. There is a place of worship for the Wesleyans. E. Robinson, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"KIRBY HALL, a township in the parish of Little Ouseburn, lower division of the wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York, three-quarters of a mile from Little Ouseburn, and 5 miles S.E. of Boroughbridge. It is situated near the river Ure, and is a meet for the Craven harriers. The principal residence is Kirby Hall."
"THORPE UNDERWOODS, a township in the parish of Little Ouseburn, lower division of Claro wapentake, West Riding county York, 9 miles N.W. of York, 2 S.E. of Little Ouseburn, and 6 S.E. of Aldborough, in the vale of the Ouse."
"WIDDINGTON, a township in the parish of Little Ouseburn, West Riding county York, 8 miles S.E. of Aldbrough, on the river Ure."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013