[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"LONG PRESTON, a parish-town, in the west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 4½ miles S. of Settle, 7 from Gisburn, 11½ from Skipton, 15 from Colne, (Lanc.) 53 from York. No Market. Fairs, March 1, and September 4, for horned cattle, &c. Principal Inn, Boar's Head. Pop. 733. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Mary, in the deanry of Craven, value, £10. 18s. 11½d. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford.
The Prior and Canons of Bolton appear to have presented to this Church, ever since the endowment of the vicarage, in 1303, to the dissolution of their house; when the rectory and advowson were granted by Henry VIII. to Christ church, Oxford. In this Church was a chantry, dedicated to our Lady and St. Anne, founded by Richard Hammerton, Knight, according to the return of chantries made by Archbishop Holgate, and valued at £5. 6s. 8d. per annum. --Hist. Craven.
Here are ten Alms Houses, with a Chapel for reading prayers, founded by James Knowles, by Will, dated 1613 14, for ten poor men or women, and endowed by him with land, worth, in 1786, £49. 15s. per annum."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- The Charities for St. Mary's Church, Long Preston.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Mary's Church, Long Preston (view 1).
- St. Mary's Church, Long Preston (view 2).
- Internal view looking down the nave
- St. Aidan's Church, Hellifield (view 1).
- St. Aidan's Church, Hellifield (view 2).
- Hellifield Methodist Church, Hellifield.
- The former Baptist Chapel, Hellifield, now a private dwelling.
- The Mission Church, Halton West.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Long Preston.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Long Preston to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD831583 (Lat/Lon: 54.020423, -2.25943), Long Preston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SD856561) Hellifield Green
- (SD829586) Town Head
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.