LONG PRESTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.
"LONG PRESTON, is a village and township, in the parish of its name, four miles from that Setttle; situate on the road leading to Skipton. The village, as its name imports, is of considerable length, and the habitations are scattered and detached. The land is fertile, principally employed in grazing ; and the occupation of many of its inhabitants is linen weaving. The places of worship are the parish church, dedicated to St. Mary, and a chapel each for methodists and baptists. The living of Preston is a vicarage, in the presentation of the dean and canons of Christ church, Oxford. The parish contained, according to the returns made to government in 1831, 1,501 inhabitants, and the township 808 of that number.
Please see Giggleswick Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this parish. (Under Settle)."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]