"LONG PRESTON, a parish and township in the wapentake of Staincliff West, West Riding county York, 11½ miles N.W. of Skipton, its post town, and 4 N.E. of Settle. It is a station on the North-Western railway. The village, which is of large extent, is situated on the western bank of the Ribble. The parish which is extensive, comprises the townships of West Halton, Hellifield, and Wigglesworth. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in cotton weaving. The soil, though fertile, is of various qualities, consisting chiefly of a brown sandy loam upon a gravelly subsoil. Limestone and freestone are extensively quarried. A large portion of the land is devoted to grazing. There are several mineral springs. The impropriate tithes belong to the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £302, in the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a low embattled tower containing three bells. The church has an E. window by Capronnier, of Brussels. The parochial charities produce about £206 per annum, of which £125 goes to Knowles' almshouses, founded in 1615, and which have recently been rebuilt. There is a free school for children of both sexes, founded in 1835 by Mrs. Hall, who endowed it with land now producing £150 per annum. The Wesleyans and Baptists have each a place of worship. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor."
"DEEPDALE HEAD, a hamlet in the township of Wigglesworth, parish of Long Preston, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles S. of Settle."
"HELLIFIELD, a township in the parish of Long Preston, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 6 miles S.E. of Settle, 10 W. of Skipton, and 2 from Long Preston. It is a station on the Midland railway. The village is situated near the river Ribble. Hellifield is the principal residence, the seat of James Hammerton, Esq. It is a very ancient mansion, formerly belonging to the Percies and Knolles. The land is chiefly meadow and pasture, with a considerable tract of common and woodland."
"WEST HALTON, a township in the parish of Long Preston, West Riding county York, 6 miles S. of Settle. It is situated on the river Ribble."
"WIGGLESWORTH, a township in the parish of Long Preston, wapentake of Staincliff West, West Riding county York, 6 miles S.W. of Settle, near the river Ribble. There is a medicinal spring impregnated with sulphur and iron. Earl de Grey is lord of the manor."