LONG PRESTON: Long Preston Baptist Church History up to 1912.
LONG PRESTON BAPTIST CHURCH
The Long Preston Church, the most westerly of our Yorkshire Churches, built its chapel in 1833, but an old report of the Association states that Baptist preaching was first undertaken in the village about the year 1782, in the house of Wm. Holgate :—" This excellent man sustained at his own expense Mr. Ross, who lived and preached in his house." * The ministers who succeeded Mr. Ross were Samuel Hall and Thomas Newhouse. After them came Samuel Hardacre, one of its own members, who had joined the Church about the year 1797. He was ordained pastor at Hellifield in 1816, but continued in his trade as a tailor, and pursued his ministry until 1852. His successors were Robert Hogg (1853-5) and Alfred Spencer (1856-63).
Mr. Spencer lived in the small chapel-house and kept a day-school. After pastorates by Revs. J. Spooner, W. Giddings, and J. Davies, Mr. Wildgoose of Manchester supplied the pulpit for twelve months, and in an Association report we read "The baptistry which has not been opened since the erection of the Chapel, was opened on May 10th, 1897." Rev. G. Armitt undertook the charge in 1898, and since his removal in 1904, the Church has remained pastorless. It enjoys a small endowment bequeathed by a member of the Tattersall family, who had at the beginning generously contributed to the erection of the chapel.
* Mr. Ross had been pastor of the disbanded Church at Tosside, Bolland. He is mentioned in the Gildersome Church-book —" John Ross, who was received by transfer from the Baptist Church at Bradford, was called forth and sent out by us to preach the everlasting Gospel in Craven."
from the "Present Churches" section of
The Baptists of Yorkshire
by Rev. J. Brown Morgan
and Rev. C.E. Shipley