Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for LOW BENTHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

LOW BENTHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"LOW BENTHAM, a parish in the W. division of the wapentake of Staincliff and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 10 miles to the W. of Settle. Lancaster is its post town. It is situated on the border of Lancashire, on the banks of the river Wenning, and comprises the chapelries of Chapel-le-Dale and Ingleton, and the hamlets of High Bentham and Low Bentham. High Bentham is a station on the Skipton, Settle, Lancaster and Morecambe railway. The workpeople are principally employed in the flax and linen manufactures and in the potteries. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, of the value of £452, in the patronage of J. W. Farrer, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. At High Bentham are a free school for boys, and a hospital for 12 poor persons, founded and endowed in 1726 by William Collingwood. The revenue of these charities is £240. There are some other endowments, producing about £78 per annum. The parish of Bentham is of considerable extent, comprising an area of 25,500 acres, and has, in addition to the parish church, two district churches-one at Ingleton, and the other at Ingleton Fells, or, as it is commonly called, Chapel-le-Dale."


"CHAPEL LE DALE, a chapelry in the parish of Low Bentham, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles S.E. of Dent. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon, value £64, in the patronage of the Rector of Bentham."


"GEARSTONES, a hamlet in the township of Ingleton and parish of Low Bentham, West Riding county York, 10 miles N.W. of Settle."


"INGLETON, a township in the parish of Low Bentham, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 3 miles S. of Bentham, and 10 S.E. of Settle, its post town. It is situated on the river Creta, under Ingleborough Hill, and contains the hamlets of Twisleton, and Gearstones. It is a station on the Ingleton branch of the North-Western railway, which has a viaduct across the river. The village is considerable, and cotton spinning is carried on to some extent. There are several large caves in the hills. The surface is very hilly, the highest point being Thornton Scar, which is about 300 feet above sea-level, and abounds with coal and limestone, the mines of which afford employment to many of the inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £120, in the patronage of the Rector of Bentham. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure, with tower containing three bells. The charities produce about £15 per annum. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans, also a National school. The township contains a police station and court-houses, in which petty sessions are held for Ewcross division."


"TWISLETON, a hamlet in the township of Ingleton and parish of Low Bentham, West Riding county York, 9 miles N.W. of Settle."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013