The Ancient Parish of MALTBY
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"MALTBY, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill; (the seat of John Cook, Esq.) 4½ miles W. of Tickhill, 7½ from Rotherham, 13 from Sheffield, 47 from York. Pop. 679. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, ~£4. 13s. 4d. p.r. £30. Patron, the Earl of Scarborough.
Here is School founded by one of the Earls of Castleton, and repaired by his heirs. Within the communion rails of this Church lies an infant son of George Viscount Castleton, who died in 1655."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Bartholomew's Church, Maltby.
- The Church of the Venerable Bede, Maltby.
- The Church of the Ascension, Maltby (now dis-used).
- The Methodist Church, Maltby.
- The former Congregational Church, Maltby (now demolished).
- The Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary Magdalene, Maltby.
- The Salvation Army Church, Maltby.
- Transcript of the entry for Maltby in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Maltby.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Maltby to another place.
- Bridget Osborne has transcibed a short article from the Sheffield Sheffield Star and Telegraph about the Maltby pit disaster in 1923.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK527923 (Lat/Lon: 53.424869, -1.208401), Maltby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Memorial Plaque in Bartholomew's Church, Maltby.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.