"MALTBY, a parish in the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, West Riding county York, 6 miles E. of Rotherham, its post town, and 12 N.E. of Sheffield. It is situated IN a fertile and richly wooded valley on the high road from Rotherham to Bawtry, and is chiefly agricultural. The parish includes the township of Hooton Levett. There are the ruins of Roche Abbey, consisting of the entrance gate, transept, &c. There is also a stone cross of great antiquity. The soil is clay and loam on a subsoil of limestone. The celebrated Roche Abbey quarries, which furnished the stone for the richly groined roof of King's College, Cambridge, are in this parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £120. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, has a spired tower containing three bells. The church was rebuilt in 1859, exclusive of the tower. It has a memorial window. The parochial- charities produce about £25 per annum, of which £15 goes to the National schools. There are also Sunday and infant schools. The Wesleyans and Reformed Methodists have places of worship. Sandbeck Hall, a seat of the Earl of Scarborough, is a stone mansion, situated in an extensive park well stocked with deer. The Earl of Scarborough is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
"HOOTON LEVETT, a township in the parish of Maltby, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, half a mile from Maltby, and 6 miles S.E. of Rotherham."
"ROCHE ABBEY, a ruined abbey in the parish of Maltby, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Tickhill. It is situated in Sandbeck Park, the seat of the Earl of Scarborough, and was originally built in 1147 by Richard de Boulli for monks of the Cistercian order."
"SANDBECK PARK, the seat of the Earl of Scarborough, in the parish of Maltby, in the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, West Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Tickhill, and 47 S. of York. In the grounds are the remains of Roche Abbey."
"STONE, a hamlet in the parishes of Firbeck and Maltby, West Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Tickhill."