[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"MARR, a parish-town, in the lower division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill; 4 miles W. of Doncaster, 11 from Barnsley, 40 from York. Pop. 162. The Chapel is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Helen, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, £4. 8s. 4d. p.r. £100. Patron, Lord Rendlesham.
In the Church is a monument, with a Latin inscription, to the family of Lewys, ancestors to Lady Elizabeth Hastings, of charitable memory.
In this village was born, John Marre, a Carmelite Friar. Hence he went to Oxford, where the University bestowed much honour upon him. He wrote against the opinions of John Wickliffe. He died March 1407, and was buried in the convent of Carmelites at Doncaster. --Fuller."
"MARR GRANGE, a farm-house in the township and parish of Marr, liberty of Tickhill; 3½ miles W. of Doncaster."
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Helen's Church, Marr.
- Transcript of the entry for Marr in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Marr.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Marr to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE513052 (Lat/Lon: 53.540947, -1.227364), Marr which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.