"MARR, a parish in the N. division of the wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 4 miles W. of Doncaster, its post town. It is a small agricultural village, situated on the old Doncaster and Barnsley turnpike road. The houses, which were formerly built of clay and thatch, have been re-constructed in the modern style. Each of them has a garden attached. The soil is principally limestone. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £128. The church, dedicated to St. Helen, is an ancient structure, with a spired tower containing three bells. The interior of the church contains an ancient font and monuments to the Lewis family. The register dates from 1680. The parochial charities produce about £11 per annum. There is a school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. Charles Sabine Augustine Thellusson, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."