[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"MARTON, a parish-town, in the upper division of Claro, liberty of St. Peter; 3 miles S. of Boroughbridge, 6 from Knaresborough, 15 from York. Pop. including Grafton, 464, which being united form a township. The Church is a vicarage, in the deanry of Boroughbridge, diocese of Chester, value, ~£2. 19s. 4d. Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge."
"GRAFTON, in the township of Marton cum Grafton, and parish of Marton, upper division of Claro, a part in the liberty of St. Peter; 3 miles S. of Boroughbridge, 6¼ from Knaresborough. Pop. included in Marton."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Transcript of the entry for Marton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Marton.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Marton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE418629 (Lat/Lon: 54.06036, -1.362897), Marton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The World War I Memorial Plaque in Christ Church, Marton cum Grafton.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.