Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: METHLEY.     Church dedication: SAINT OSWALD.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 3,240 acres. Agbrigg wapentake, L.D. -Population, 1,593 ; Church-room, 400 *1 ; Net value, £908. -An ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the Lacies, Earls of Lincoln, and from them devolved to the Dukes of Lancaster.

The Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster is now the patron.

The Church is valued, in Pope Nicholas's valuation, at £16; in the King's books, at £25. 8s. 6d. per annum, after deducting for Synodals 4S., and Procurations 7s. 6d.; and in the Parliament. ary Survey, vol. xviii. page 283, at £180 per annum.

An inclosure Act was passed in the 26th Geo. III.

Dr. Whitaker describes the monuments, and gives the pedigree of the Saviles, and an engraving of the tomb of Sir Robert Waterton. He also gives a catalogue of the Rectors.

A Chantry was founded in this Church.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register books commence in 1560.

Charities:
Doles. -Sundry payments, amounting together to £8. 16s. 6d. Four poor children taught to read and write. The remainder is distributed.

Poor's Money. Interest of £60, left by Henry Saville, Esq. and Mrs. Ward. £2 per annum, part of the interest, is applied in teaching two poor children to read and write.

Education Fund. Interest of £120, given by Mrs. Eleanor Smeaton and Mrs. Sarah Leech, for the education of eight poor children. The Commissioners express their fears that this charity will be lost, in consequence of the bankruptcy of Mr. Thomas Wilson, who held the money.

School. The site of a school and school-house, together with a small garden, were given several years ago by the lord of the manor. -Vide 16th Report, page 408.

Post town: Pontefract.


References:
Loidis et Elmete, page 207. Torre's MS., page 781. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 161. Wood's Bodleian MS., No. 5,078.


Notes:
*1 Agreeably to the return in 1818: no return made in 1834.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.