METHLEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"METHLEY, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.N.E. from Wakefield, containing 1499 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated' in the king's books at £25. 8. 6., and in the patronage of the King, as Duke of Lancaster. The church, dedicated to St. Oswald, is principally in the later English and decorated styles, and contains several ancient and splendid monuments; the most curious is a mutilated statue of the patron saint, over the south door, now, from its great antiquity, in a state of rapid decay. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists, A small sum has been given for the instruction of children; and there are eight almshouses for widows. The river Calder bounds this parish on the south, and unites with the Aire on the east."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]