METHLEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.
"METHLEY, (given as "MEDLEY-HIGH") a parish in the West Riding of Yorkshire, about 5 m. N. E. from Wakefield, stands bet. the two navigable rs. the Calder and the Are, near where they join, and has a bridge over the former. It formerly bel. to Mr. Waterton, master of the horse to K. Hen. IV. and afterwards to Sir John Savil, baron of the exchequer, who assisted Camden in his Britannia. Mr. Savile, his descendant, Ld. of the manor, has a curious seat here in Medley-Park, remarkable for a long gallery, in the windows of which are painted the arms of the Yorkshire nobility, as they were in the R. of Q. Eliz."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]