Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for MEXBOROUGH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

MEXBOROUGH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"MEXBOROUGH, a parish, partly in the liberty of St. Peters, but chiefly in the S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Rotherham, its post town, and 2 E. of Swinton. It is a station on the South Yorkshire railway. It is the ancient Maisebel, where the memorable battle was fought between the Saxons and the Britons under Aurelius Ambrosius, in which the latter were victorious. The parish, which is extensive, is situated on the N. side of the river Don, and contains the townships of Old and New Mexborough. The Dean and Dove canal passes through the parish and joins the Don just above the village, which has of late years considerably improved, its population having increased from 500 in 1806 to 3,000 at the present time. A portion of the land has been recently enclosed for building and other purposes. The substratum contains clay for earthenware, for which the place has long been celebrated. There are numerous stone quarries, coal mines, a pottery, extensive iron works, a brewery, and the Don Glass Company, employing many hands. Boat building is also carried on. The land, which has been enclosed and cultivated, is rich, but there is still a considerable extent of common. The impropriation belongs to the Archdeacon of the East Riding, whose tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £570, and who has a glebe of 36 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £150. The church, which has recently been restored, is an ancient structure, with a spired tower containing three bells. The interior of the church contains monuments to the Saville family, also fragments of stained glass bearing their arms. The register dates from 1562. The parochial charities produce about £5 5s. per annum, which goes to Messrs. Horne and Calverly's almshouses. There are National and British schools, each having a Sunday-school attached. The Wesleyans, Wesleyan Reformers, and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. The parish comprises two manors, Mexborough and Denaby, separated by the river Don. This place gives the title of earl to the Mexborough family. There are traces of several aggers in this parish, supposed to have been thrown up by the Romans to strengthen their works at Templeborough."

"DANNABY, (or Denaby), a township in the parish of Mexborough, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles S.W. of Doncaster. It is situated on the Dearne canal and the river Don."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013