[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"MIRFIELD, a parish-town, in Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 3 miles SW. of Dewsbury, 4½ from Huddersfield, 8 from Wakefield, 35 from York. Pop. 5,041. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Mary, in the deanry of Pontefract, value, ~£6. 1s. 0½d. p.r. £150. Patron, Sir George Armitage, Bart. The rectory of Mirfield, nearly fifty years ago, was let for £210. per annum, though estimated in 1540, at no more than £6. 6s. 8d." (There is further information for Mirfield).
"BLAKE HALL, (the residence of Mrs. Ingham) in the township and parish of Mirfield; 3 miles from Dewsbury, 6½ from Huddersfield.
In this house was born, John Hopton, Bishop of Norwich, of a very considerable family, residing alternately at Blake Hall and Armley, near Leeds. He was a Dominican Friar, educated at Oxford, from whence, after his course of study was completed, he travelled to Rome, and took the degree of D.D. at Bologna. He was chaplain to Princess Mary, soon after whose accession to the crown, he was nominated to the See of Norwich, which he enjoyed to his death. --Whitaker's Loidis and Elmete."
"HOPTON, a hamlet in the township and parish of Mirfield, 3½ miles NE. of Huddersfield."
"HUNGER HILL, 3 farm-houses in the township and parish of Mirfield, 7 miles E. of Huddersfield."
"NORTHORPE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Mirfield, 2½ miles from Dewsbury, 5 from Wakefield."
"NUNBROOK, a hamlet in the township and parish of Mirfield, 4½ miles NNE. of Huddersfield, 8½ from Wakefield, 11 from Leeds."
"QUARRY HILL, a hamlet in the township and parish of Mirfield, 2½ miles W. of Dewsbury, 5½ from Huddersfield."
"TOWN GATE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Mirfield, 2½ miles from Dewsbury, 6 from Wakefield."
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The remains of the old St. Mary's Church, Mirfield.
- St. Mary's Church, Mirfield. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Moravian Church, Wellhouse. The Church is among the buidings on the right.
- The former Primitive Methodist Chapel, Mirfield.
- The Church of St. John the Evangelist, Upper Hopton.
- The former Congregational/United Reformed Church, Lower Hopton. Built in 1829 as a Congregational chapel to replace an earlier building.
- St. Saviour's Church, Ravensthorpe.
- The United Reformed Church, Ravensthorpe.
- St. Andrew's Methodist Church, Mirfield.
- The Evangelical Church, Wellhouse. (The Church's website is here.)
- St. Aidan's Roman Catholic Church, Mirfield.
- The Trinity Methodist Church, Mirfield.
- St. Paul's Church, Mirfield.
- The Zion Baptist Church, Mirfield. The church was behind the two trees, but had to be demolished several years ago, and now the former Sunday School is used for worship.
- Church of the College of the Order of the Resurrection, Mirfield, an Anglican Theological college. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Church of Christ the King, Battyeford. Founded in 1840, this building was opened in 1973.
- The Salvation Army Worship Hall, Mirfield.
- The Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, Mirfield.
- Here is a photograph of Hopton Hall
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1829 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mirfield to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE200199 (Lat/Lon: 53.67519, -1.698724), Mirfield which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE197187) Upper Hopton
- (SE221203) Ravensthorpe
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.
- A transcription of the Poll Book for Mirfield in 1835.