"MIRFIELD, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.W. from Dewsbury, containing 5041 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £6. 1. 0., endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Sir G. Armytage, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has lately received an addition of four hundred and ninety-eight sittings, of which two hundred and eighty are free, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £250 towards defraying the expense. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Richard Thorpe, in 1667, conveyed to trustees certain houses and lands, now producing about £53 a year, for teaching fifteen poor children. This income, with the sum of £2. 10. a year, given by Joseph Lidgard and Thomas Holdsworth, are applied to the free instruction of twenty children, in a school-room erected by the inhabitants. The river Calder runs through the parish, in which the woollen manufacture is carried on to a great extent. Up to 1261, Mirfield formed a part of the Saxon parish of Dewsbury; but the lady of Sir John Heton, on her way to Dewsbury church, before dawn on Christmasday, was attacked by robbers, and her attendant murdered, in consequence of which, at the intercession of her husband, then at Rome, the Pope granted permission to build a chapel here, which became parochial, and is the present parish church. Near it is a conicalmount, thrown up by the Saxons for the defence of the ancient mansion, still called Castle-hall. The plague raged here with great fury in 1631, and swept off a great number of persons."