The Ancient Parish of MONK FRYSTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"MONK FRYSTON, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Barkston Ash, a part in the liberty of St. Peter; 4 miles N. of Ferrybridge, 6½ from Pontefract, 7½ from Selby, 13¾ from Leeds, 19 from York. Pop. 409. It is a parochial Chapelry, in the deanry of the Ainsty, value, p.r. !£60. Patron, the Prebendary of Wistow."
"BURTON SALMON, in the parish of Monk Fryston, wapentake of Barkston-Ash; 4 miles N. of Pontefract, 9 from Selby, 10 from Tadcaster. Pop. 182."
"HILLAM, in the parish of Monk Fryston, wapentake of Barkston-Ash; 4 miles N. of Ferrybridge, 6 from Pontefract, 7 from Selby. Pop. 269."
"LAYS, (the seat of David Hemsworth, Esq.) in the township and parish of Monk Fryston, 4 miles N. of Ferrybridge."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry for Monk Fryston in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Monk Fryston to another place.
- Rural pursuits and farming in the 1950s - Filmed in Burton Salmon, Hillam and Monk Fryston
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE506297 (Lat/Lon: 53.761206, -1.233946), Monk Fryston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial in St. Wilfrid's Churchyard, Monk Fryston.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE512288) Hillam Hall
- (SE489294) Monk Fryston Lodge
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.