Hide

MONK FRYSTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"MONK FRYSTON, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Burton- Salmon, Hillam, and Monk-Frystone, and containing 860 inhabitants, of which number, 409 are in the township of Monk-Frystone, 4 miles N.N.E. from Ferry- Bridge. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with £200 pri- vate benefaction, and £ 1300 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Prebendary of Wistow in the Cathedral Church of York."


"BURTON SALMON, a township in the parish of MONK-FRYSTON, lower division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles N.E. from "Ferry-Bridge, containing 182 inhabitants."


"HILLAM, a township in the parish of MONK FRYSTON, lower division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE-ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.N.E. from Ferry-Bridge, containing 269 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]