MONK FRYSTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"MONK FRYSTON, (or Fryston Monk), a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of Barkstone Ash, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Ferry Frystone, and 7 N. of Pontefract. South Milford is its post town, and Milford Junction is its railway station on the North-Eastern line, about 1 mile N. of the village. The parish includes the townships of Burton-Salmon and Hillam. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £114, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is a stone edifice, dedicated to St. Wilfred. The parochial charities produce about £25 per annum, in addition to a school endowment of £7 10s. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a parish school for boys and girls. Lord Londesborough is lord of the manor."
"BURTON SALMON, a township in the parish of Monk Fryston, wapentake of Barkstone Ash, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the N.E. of Pontefract. It is a station on the North-Eastern railway."
"HILLAM, a township in the parish of Monk-Fryston, lower division of the wapentake of Barkstone Ash, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Pontefract, 3 N.E. of Ferry-Bridge, and half a mile from Monk-Frystone. The commons, which were enclosed in 1797, have been brought into cultivation. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The York and North Midland railway passes through this township. Limestone is extensively quarried. Hillam Hall is a fine Elizabethan mansion."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013