The Ancient Parish of NEWTON KYME
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"NEWTON KYME, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Barkston Ash; (Newton Hall, the seat of Thomas Lodderton Fairfax, Esq.) 1½ miles NW. of Tadcaster, 5 from Wetherby, 11½ from York, 13 from Ferrybridge. Pop. including Towlston, 184. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Andrew (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of the Ainsty, value, £14. Patron, Thomas Lodderton Fairfax, Esq.
This place takes its name from being formerly in the possession of the "Barons de Kime"; though it has since long been in the ancient family of Fairfax. --Drake.
Here some antiquaries place the Roman Calcaria, in the fields near St. Helen's Ford, there being no argument to fix it at Tadcaster, but what will equally agree to this place. Many Roman coins have been ploughed up here, particularly some of Constantius, Helena, and Constantine; also, an alabaster urn, containing ashes, melted lead, rings, &c. --Camden.
Dr. Owen Oglethorpe, Bishop of Carlisle, who crowned Queen Elizabeth, was a native of this place. --Camden.
Here is a School, founded in 1787, by the late Thomas Fairfax Esq."
"TOULSTON, in the township and parish of Newton Kyme, wapentake of Barkston-Ash; (Towlston Lodge, the seat of William Prest, Esq.) 3 miles W. of Tadcaster, 5 from Wetherby."
- Transcript of the entry for Newton Kyme in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Newton Kyme.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Newton Kyme to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE463448 (Lat/Lon: 53.897312, -1.296898), Newton Kyme which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.