"NEWTON KYME, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, West Riding county York, 2 miles N.W. of Tadcaster, its post town, and the same distance E. of Boston-Spa. It is a station on the York and Harrogate section of the North-Eastern railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the S. bank of the river Wharfe. There is some fine meadow land, but the larger proportion is arable. The soil is of a sandy and loamy nature, on a subsoil of gravel and limestone. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. Roman coins and other relics of antiquity have been found in the neighbourhood. Limestone is quarried. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £385. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient stone structure, with an ivy-mantled tower containing three bells. The church has two memorial windows, also an old register chest bearing date 1633. The parochial charities produce about £47 per annum, of which £22 goes to Fairfax's school for the free education of six boys. A Sunday-school is held within the same building. Newton Hall has for a considerable period been the seat of the Fairfax family, and within its grounds are the ruins of the old seat of the barons de Kyme. Thomas Fairfax, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"TOULSTON, a township in the parish of Newton-Kyme, upper division of Barkstone-Ash wapentake, West Riding county York, 1½ mile S.W. of North Kyme, and 2½ miles N.W. of Tadcaster. J. Brown, Esq. of Rossington Hall, near Doncaster, is lord of the manor and principal landowner."